Skip to main content

Why I'm Buying the OnePlus Five

Every iPhone release is followed quickly by a rage of articles by iFans who are sure it will be the best thing ever and iCynics who disagree. The number of articles by fans of other devices or device-makers pales by comparison. So I decided to write an article on why I'm excited by the just-announced OnePlus Five.
I rarely buy a new device before my old one dies. Not that I don't want to - I've seen all the new models at the Mobile World Congress most years, and love gadgets, but I rarely find it worth jumping to a new device, reinstalling all my apps and getting it just as I like it, just for minor improvements that don't change my experience much.
So why do I want the OnePlus Five when my current OnePlus Two works perfectly well? In honor of the OnePlus Five, I'm giving five reasons.

Reason one: RAM rules

I bought the OnePlus Two because it had 4gig of RAM when none of the other top phones did. In fact, it took the market leaders over a year to catch up. I am convinced that RAM makes more of a difference in my phone experience than anything else. The ability to react instantly, with lots of apps running, is due to RAM. The ability to perform well with many apps requiring constant background services, like messaging and calling apps, is due to RAM. RAM is more important than CPU or storage or any of the other things people look at.
The top smartphone makers are just now catching up with my OnePlus Two's 4gig of RAM. Phone sites don't even have the option for searching for phones with 8gig. So I want it. This is what will keep a phone zipping along for the next two years.

Reason two: Camera


I take a lot of pictures and videos, and in the past two years these have all been on my OnePlus Two. When I released 13 videos from the Mobile World Congress a few months ago, they were all shot on my OnePlus. Same with videos from the 2016 Indoor Location Testbed (videos from the 2017 testbed are coming soon). I need a phone with a camera that will work well, for professional use. The OnePlus Two's camera has been great, and the OnePlus Five is set to be even better, especially in low light.

While I'm at it, here's the morning scene from my hotel balcony in Barcelona.
Interestingly, the camera is one area where OnePlus seems to be innovating strongly. Their two cameras working together on the OnePlus Five is the best new idea I've seen in phone cameras in years. I look forward to it.

Reason three: Build Quality

Build Quality is a phrase you don't hear often enough in the phone industry. But it matters. Two phones can have the same specs, but one will last one year and one will last three. The reason is build quality.
My OnePlus Two has lasted me several years, and still runs great. 'Nuff said.

Reason four: Battery

These days, battery life is critical. How many of us can make it through a busy work day on a single charge? 3300 mAH and the ability to charge 50% in 30 minutes sounds great.

Reason five: Being part of a disruption

I think OnePlus is going to do disruptive things. To date their innovations have been in RAM and (hopefully) camera, along with direct to market sales and top quality at good prices. I expect they will have more disruptions to come.
Think about it. How many innovations have you seen in smartphones recently? Not enough. A bit bigger, a new CPU, a few more megapixels. But phones still work pretty similarly to how they worked 2-3 years ago.
A few years ago, at the Mobile World Congress, there were a number of small entrants in the smartphone industry that were trying to disrupt the market. There was a device with a camera that swiveled on a hinge. There was a device with an e-ink screen on the back. There were devices with offbeat shapes. None of these have really taken off. But OnePlus is succeeding at grabbing its niche, there trying to disrupt. I'm a fan. I think they will have great things to come.
Interested in more about OnePlus? If you click here on my referrer link, OnePlus will give you $20 off on accessories after you buy a phone. Or you can click here to see the OnePlus Five page with no referrer link.
Whether you agree with me or not, keep an eye on OnePlus. The features you see now are likely to be mainstream in 2 years. What will OnePlus be doing then? I look forward to seeing.

Popular posts from this blog

Intel demos indoor location technology in new Wi-Fi chips at MWC 2015

Intel made several announcements  at MWC 2015, including a new chipset for wireless connectivity (Wi-Fi) in mobile devices. This new chipset, the 8270, include in-chip support for indoor location positioning. Below we explain their technology and show a video of it in action. With this announcement, Intel joins Broadcom, Qualcomm and other chip makers in moving broad indoor location positioning into mobile device hardware. The transition of indoor location positioning into chips is a trend identified in the newest Grizzly Analytics report on Indoor Location Positioning Technologies , released the week before MWC 2015. By moving indoor location positioning from software into hardware, chips such as Intel's enable location positioning to run continuously and universally, without using device CPU, and with less power consumption. Intel's technology delivers 1-3 meter accuracy, using a technique called multilateration, generating a new location estimate every second. While 1-

Robot Camera Foreshadows an Era of Location-Aware Electronics

A French company called Move 'N See produces a line of camera robots. Their devices act as a smart tripod, holding a video camera and automatically moving and zooming the camera as people of interest move around a site. The idea is simple but amazingly innovative. Photo selfies are easy to take, but video selfies are next to impossible. How can I video myself playing football or doing gymnastics, without setting the camera so far back as to be useless? Do spectators want to spend an entire sporting event carefully videoing their friend or relative moving around the field? Enter Move 'N See's "personal robot cameramen." Their devices aim, pan and zoom a video camera as one or more people move around an area. The people of interest wear armbands whose locations are tracked, enabling the camera controller to know where to aim the camera. The camera controller also includes enough smarts to adjust the camera smoothly and to capture multiple people evenly. T

Waze and Google Maps: A Quick Comparison

I've been a big Waze fan for years, relying on it to make my daily commute as quick as possible.  I try to never leave my hometown without checking Waze first to avoid getting stuck in traffic. For those of you who don't know about Waze, they basically crowd-source traffic information, learning where traffic is slow by measuring how fast their users are moving.  This traffic information is then used to route people in ways that will truly be fastest.  (Apple has reportedly licensed Waze data for their upcoming maps app.) Waze is used most heavily abroad, and is only recently building a following in the States.  (It was also just reviewed on the Forbes site .)  So on a recent trip to the States, I decided to compare Waze to the latest USA-based version of Google Maps for Android. In a nutshell, I reached three conclusions.  (1) Google's use of text-to-speech in their turn-by-turn directions is very nice.   (2) Google's got Waze beat in terms of explaining what